Monday, August 29, 2011

Savings!

So money has been really tight around here this summer.  So I have been creative in meal planning and grocery shopping.  I have to say, I am really proud of myself.   I have been keeping our grocery bill around $100 each week, to feed our family of five.  That includes any diapers, dog food, personal items we may need too.  This week, I think I have outdone myself though.  A whopping $69.75 is what I spent this week, and that included two packs of huggies.
So how did I do it?

First I look at all the ads and my coupons.  And plan my week of dinners, using what's on sale, and what's in my freezer.
Here is this weeks meals:
Monday:  Hot dogs/pigs in a blanket, beans
Tuesday: ham, julienne potatoes, green beans (from garden)
Wed: Chicken, rice, carrots
Thurs: Ham and cheese omelets, toast, hash browns
Friday: Spaghetti
Saturday: Leftover Fagioli over rice

What I had in the freezer/pantry:
Hot dogs, crescent rolls, beans, julienne potatoes, green beans, rice, hash browns, tomato sauce/paste, Fagioli , ground turkey.

What was on sale and had coupons for:
Huggies, peanut butter, crackers, cookies

My store also price matches:
peanut butter, fruit cups, milk, granola bars.

Some of my big savings this week were:  Planters peanut butter was on sale at another store for $.99, and I had a $.75 cent off coupon.  Huggies were on sale, I had $3.00 off coupon for the new slide one ones. And milk I price matched ,  No frills had milk , buy 3 get $1.00 off.

*I also get a 5 cent sack credit for every reusable bag I use.  And I also collect pet prints and baby bucks.  This week I had enough baby bucks to turn in for a $10.00 gift card.

*Don't be afraid to try new things.  I would never have bought the new Huggies slide-on diapers.  But with a $3.00 off coupon , I'm willing to try it.  That coupon made the huggies as cheap as the store brand.
*Also, store brand is not always cheapest.  This week I had a coupon for Land O Lakes eggs.  That made the Land O Lakes eggs 40 cents less than the Hy-vee eggs.
*Plan meals from the pantry, or using leftovers.  I am making ham tomorrow, and I know there will be leftovers, so we will use the leftovers for ham and cheese omelets.
*Check the store website.  My store also puts out an online only ad with extra savings.  Check www.afullcup.com for your store savings.

I hope this inspires you to clip some coupons and save some money!

1 comment:

  1. That's great to see the savings you're getting! I don't know how you do the coupons, I've tried and am just no good at it. I now do probably 90-95% of our shopping at Aldi. Love it-not clipping coupons and have cut our bill in half. I know you like the hormone free milk/eggs...Aldi has that and all their milk is $2/gallon! We save $25/month on milk alone and don't feel like we have to ration it. Check them out if you never have. I agree with you on meal planning too it's a must if you want to keep your budget in check. Cool blog BTW:)

    ReplyDelete