Sunday, December 5, 2010

Who Am I?

Today I got to take Mary to The Christmas Carol at the Omaha Community Playhouse.  It's my favorite play.  I just love all the Christmas songs.  Mary was finally old enough to go and sit through the whole thing and enjoy it.  We also got to see an old friend from college who was in the play.  She let us go backstage to see everything.  I got to show Mary the stage and all the props.  
Of course seeing my old friend, makes me remember how much I loved working in the theater.  In high school I did two years of being a stagehand for the Christmas Carol.  And went on to major in theater in college.  When we moved back to Omaha I did a couple more plays at the playhouse before I got pregnant with Mary.  
So who am I now?  Am I destined to be a "mom" forever?  Will I ever get to do something just for me again?  Don't get me wrong, I choose to be a stay at home mom, and I love it.  I would hate to miss out on so much of my children's lives by working out of the home all day.  It may be fine for other people, but not for me.  But it would be nice to have something that is just for me.  
As I have said in earlier posts, many of my hobbies have changed over the years, they all involve my children and their well being, and I do enjoy doing them.  
By the time my children have grown, will I remember what is stage left, or how to work a fly rail?  Or will my brain be stuffed with how to wash diapers and when to give Tylenol?  Will there be any of "me" left?

No comments:

Post a Comment