Monday, January 31, 2011

WFD?

That's: Whats For Dinner.  A question often asked on my moms online board.  Not usually a question at our house.  I try to meal plan each week.  It helps me spend less at the store, and helps us not eat out as often.
In a perfect world I do this on Sunday , after I cut coupons and look at that weeks ads.  That way I can plan to use whats on sale.  But with the crappy weather and Mr.C tutoring , I never know when I'm going to get to the store.  So I have been trying to plan at least a week and a half in advance.
I have a list of meals that everyone likes, and just choose from there.  I usually try a new recipe once or twice a month.
A good idea that was given on my moms board was to assign each day of the week with a meal category.  Like, Monday's would be Italian, Tuesday's meatless night. . ..  etc.  Then it would be easy to plan for the whole month.
Meal planning is great so you don't end up with a ton of leftovers.  I try to plan meals with the leftovers.  Such as, if I make a roasted chicken on Monday,  Wed or Thurs, I'll make chicken noodle soup, or chicken fajitas with the leftover chicken.   And if I know I am going to make something that makes a lot of leftovers, then I just assign one day for leftovers.   Soup and sandwich night is a cheap eat night.  And if I know Mr.C is not going to be home for dinner, I make something he won't eat!
So WFD this week?  Tonight is porcupine meatballs with mashed potatoes and corn.
Tues: Pancakes, bacon, and pears
Wed:  Chicken Parmesan sandwiches
Thurs: Homemade Runza's
Friday:  Chicken broccoli Alfredo
Sat:  Quick stew
Sunday: crock pot rotisserie chicken

Now off to make my list and get to the store before the storm hits.

4 comments:

  1. How do you make chicken parmesan sandwiches? I would like to know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super easy. I cheat, and use the tyson chicken patties. once they are cooked, spoon some spaghetti sauce on and some mozzarella cheese then stick back under the broiler for a minute. and if I'm really nice I toast the buns too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used to eat porcupine meatballs all the time as kids. I'd love your recipe if you don't mind, I haven't had them in forever. I'm also curious about the crock pot rotisserie chicken. I love crock pot dinners they are so easy. Thanks so much for your fun dinner ideas. You should write a book :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would also like the porcupine meatball recipe too... I've never had them!

    ReplyDelete